How Public Funding Can Financially Assist Your Startup
Entrepreneurs and startup founders often face challenges in obtaining sufficient funds for their startup idea. Fortunately, several funding programs can assist in successfully implementing your business concept. Here’s a quick overview of 10 significant funding opportunities like EXIST, INVEST, and ERP-Gründerkredit – StartGeld.
Key Funding Opportunities for Startups:
- Existenzgründungszuschuss: A financial support system for the unemployed stepping into entrepreneurship, providing a monthly subsidy to ease financial worries during the initial phase.
- INVEST – Zuschuss für Wagniskapital: Assists startups receiving venture capital from private investors, with a portion supplemented by the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi).
- ERP-Gründerkredit – StartGeld: Offered by the KfW Banking Group, it provides low-interest loans for newly established companies, facilitating the startup phase.
- EXIST-Gründerstipendium: Aimed at students, graduates, and researchers wanting to implement their innovative business ideas, offering monthly support for a maximum of one year.
- ZIM-Kooperationsprojekte: This program supports innovative startups with partial funding for technology-oriented cooperative projects.
- Pro FIT – Innovationsgutschein für KMU: A program for SMEs in Berlin, Brandenburg, and Saxony, granting innovation vouchers for external consulting and development services.
- High-Tech Gründerfonds: Invests venture capital in technology-oriented startups, offering financial means, an extensive network, and expert advice.
- Horizont 2020: A European Union program supporting startups and companies across various sectors, including various funding measures for research, innovation, and technology transfer.
- Mikromezzaninfonds: Strengthens the equity base of small companies with up to €50,000, improving their chances of obtaining additional loans.
Comparing Funding Opportunities:
Each funding program varies in its target group, type, amount, and duration of funding. For instance, Existenzgründungszuschuss targets the unemployed, providing living allowance support for a maximum of 15 months. In contrast, INVEST supplements venture capital up to 50% of the investment amount, with its duration depending on the investment.
Industry-Specific Support by State:
Different states in Germany have specific funding programs and industry focuses to strengthen their regional economy. For example, Baden-Württemberg emphasizes machinery, automotive, electrical engineering, and medical technology, while Berlin focuses on creative industries, IT, media, and tourism.
Documents Needed for Funding Applications:
When applying for funding, startups typically need to submit various documents, including a detailed business plan, financial projections, CVs, and company statutes. Familiarizing oneself with the guidelines and requirements of each funder is crucial for a successful application.
Lastly, besides these funding options, there are other means of raising funds, like crowdfunding or grants.
This article is a translated summary of a very detailed page in German, which we warmly invite you to read :